How lab grown diamonds are certified and graded
All you need to know about the ifs and how’s of whether lab-grown diamonds are acknowledged and certified by international diamond certification bodies.
Lately, lab-sourced diamonds have created quite the ripple in the sea that is the precious stones market.
For those who are uninitiated, lab created diamonds are those diamonds that are made from bioavailable carbon being treated to super high concentrations of heat and pressure, within the strict confines of a laboratory.
The unpolished stone thus obtained from such a transformation is then further processed to make its natural luster, shine, and radiance show through. This processing is undertaken as per stringent diamond processing guidelines so as to ensure that these stones meet the same quality measures as mined diamonds.
What are the quality parameters that a diamond is measured against?
There are four basic parameters that a diamond must measure up to and it is graded accordingly. They are standards that are accepted and acknowledged across the globe.
They are Cut, Clarity, Color, Carat, popularly known as the 4Cs.
- Cut: This parameter grades the refraction of light from the various facets of the diamond’s surface. The stone must be cut such that it reflects light at the maximum possible angles, giving it an infinite sparkle.
- Clarity: Simply put, this parameter measures the purity of the diamond. The inspection done under a high-precision microscope determines the degree of impurities and damages or visual flaws along with the depth of the stone.
- Color: As the name suggests, color indicates the degree of “whiteness” of the diamond. The closer it is to purely colorless, the superior its quality is and the more it is priced at. D, E, F are the grades given to stones that are closer to being white.
- Carat: It indicates the weight of the diamond.
How are Lab-grown Diamonds Certified?
Lab sourced diamonds are certified by some of the most internationally acclaimed institutes that grade mined diamonds as well. They are the Gemological Institute of America and the International Gemological Institute.
The IGI entered the foray of certifying lab diamonds very early while GIA followed soon in 2006. Their unbiased and in-depth analysis has come to be trusted around the world.
Only these institutes can identify a lab diamond from its mined counterpart since they study the minute structural and molecular level differences that occur in them both in-depth and differentiate them in the highly equipped laboratories.
GIA and IGI both take into account the 4Cs of diamond standards and collate their analyses of each stone passed under their scrutiny as a comprehensive report including details on the origin of the diamond. Lab diamonds are given a score on each of these four parameters and a certificate is issued to the jewelers for every diamond.
Now, everybody may have a slight variance in the values and grades they allocate to each characteristic of the diamond. Hence, while reading the certificate, it is essential to understand what each rating signifies for that certification body.
Based on the report provided by these institutes, the lab diamonds are priced as referenced by the Rapaport Scale.
How to read a GIA or IGI Certificate
I say a lab diamond has been graded as color H, clarity VS1, 1.58 carats with EE on polish and symmetry. We read it as:
This lab diamond is the closest that it can get to be colorless or white (D), has very subtle blemishes (VS1), weighs 1.58 carats, and has a double excellent grade on the cut i.e. the shine and symmetry of angles refracting maximum light.
This diamond is of excellent quality and will fetch a high dollar price.
Lastly, but most importantly, both GIA and IGI inscribe the lab diamond’s girdle with the information that the stone in question is man-made. They follow this procedure for all those diamonds that are verified and graded in their labs.
While purchasing a lab sourced diamond
Have this checklist ready:
- Has the diamond been certified by a well-acclaimed certification body?
- Has the diamond been priced justly based on the certificate?
- Has it been stamped on the girdle indicating that it is lab-grown?
Do your research while buying a lab-sourced diamond and reap the benefits of making the ideal purchase decision!
We at Loose Grown Diamond sell only certified lab-grown diamonds which have reached the optimal level of purity, looks, color, and elegance.